Some corrupt bastardization of the Washington Capitals summoned an eldritch victory over the New York Rangers Monday night. In a hockey year that has been hockey weird, this game was downright creepy.
There were many goals from the shambolic revenue that think they are still playing Caps hockey. To begin with, Nic Dowd scored a rush goal and Conor Sheary added with a supple assist from Michael Raffl.
Mika Zibanejad finished the first period and began the second period with a couple of goals, as he always does against Washington. Rangers took the lead by Kaapo Kakkos, but Garnet Hathaway tied it up late.
Four minutes into the third period, Daniel Sprong pulled some more elite moves to restore Washington̵
(No “Bailamos” tonight. House Rules.)
- Alex Ovechkin played a shift, under a minute. He left the game and did not return.
- Evgeny Kuznetsov and Ilya Samsonov did not dress for the game due to team discipline. They were late for a team event.
- One thing we will never know is whether Kuznetsov’s discipline forced Ovechkin to play, or whether Ovechkin’s willingness to play allowed the team to sit Kuznetsov. Either way, it was a disastrous series of events.
- Elsewhere, TJ Oshie missed the game for personal reasons, and Justin Schultz is breastfeeding the same injury. All of this resulted in a very concise Caps lineup.
- And then, in the second period, Tom Wilson struck Pavel Buchnevich in the back of the head as he leaned forward. It triggered a fight that Ian dutifully documented for you. Wilson was rightly punished and I would not win that he got more. In the immediate aftermath, he left his team’s shortened bench even shorter. I think I will update this old yarn in a few days.
- At the other end of the ice, Artemi Panarin left the game after the second period. I think it was due to his scrap with Wilson, pictured above.
- Daniel LeapHis goal in the third period was his fifth in five games. Folks, he could catch McDavid.
#JoeBSuitOfTheNight #CapsRangers Navy and Red pic.twitter.com/hcM5EBap4T
– Ian Oland (@ianoland) May 3, 2021
There was a tornado in Frederick tonight. We are all doing well in RMNB country, but it was scary. If you got caught in it, I hope you’re fine. I suppose I was just distracted by it, which is a blessing. But for that distraction, I can not gather my usual anger over Wilson’s wisdom, or my concern for Ovechkin or my tongue-in-cheek “boys want to be boys” smiles at Kuznetsov and Samsonov.
Tonight it was weird, but not really fun or funny. I did not like that Ovechkin played and left. I did not like that Tom Wilson was a dipshit. I did not like that Panarin was injured. I did not like that Kuznetsov and Samsonov were two small rascals.
But I like that the Rangers were officially eliminated and that a bunch of victories deep guy killed it and played great while down to two or three guys. So I’m in conflict.
Like I said: it’s been a weird year.
RMNB coverage of caps at Rangers
Screenshot courtesy of NBC Sports Washington