One of the worst-kept secrets of the last week was that Pete Alonso was going to make the Mets' 25-man roster. Still, Alonso had a tough time holding the manager Mickey Callaway gave him the news
"I got misty-eyed," Alonso said before Opening Day on Thursday. "Everyone was like," don't cry Pete. " I was beyond excited. "
" Don't cry, Pete! " 28 pic.twitter.com/zIJUd9APMH
– SNY (@SNYtv) March 28, 2019
Before giving his players the news, Callaway had altered their batting practice plan before gathering Alonso, Tomas Nido , Luis Guillorme and others to know them were coming north with the team.
"We had me, Dom, JD, Guillorme, and Tomas Nido all in a group," Alonso said. "And it was in the first BP group and then after just saying 'alright, guys, in just an hour and 45 minutes there's a flight to Syracuse. All of us got really quiet, He, like, drug it out. Just like 'you guys are gonna miss the flight because all you guys are big leaguers. It wasn't cool at first, but it was kind of a funny joke. It was really cool. "
The way Mickey duty Pete, pic.twitter.com/025suPzjGh
̵1; SNY (@SNYtv) March 28, 2019
The 24-year-old Alonso was told by GM Brodie Van Wagenen in November that he had a chance to make the team out of Spring training, with Van Wagenen prioritizing the best 25 guys about the potential of Alonso hitting free agency a year early.
Alonso tore the cover off the ball in Spring Training, Van Wagenen was true to his word, and now Alonso will get his hacks against Max Scherzer on Opening Day