WASHINGTON – The United States and Iran lined up against a flashpoint Monday when Tehran announced that it was in breach of the agreement that keeps it from producing nuclear weapons and the Trump administration followed by ordering 1,000 more troops to the Middle East. 19659004] The Pentagon said the expansion includes security forces and troops for further monitoring and intelligence gathering in the region. While the number is small, it represents an escalation of the US military aimed at deterring Iran and soothing allies worried that transit through key vessels may be at risk.
Tehran's announcement earlier Monday means that it could soon enrich uranium to just one step away from arms-class levels, challenging President Donald Trump's assurances to Allies that US withdrawal from the trade last year made the world a safer place.
The development is bound to increase tensions in the Middle East and provide a test of determination and credibility for both opponents.
Iran said it would break a limit on uranium stocks established by the 2015 World Power Agreement, aimed at limiting the nuclear program of the Islamic Republic rather than easing international sanctions.  After Trump withdrew from the agreement, signed by his predecessor, he reinstated punitive economic sanctions and left the European and second part Ners in the struggle struggling to keep Iran aboard.
On Monday, the US government found itself in the awkward position to demand that Iran adhere to a nuclear agreement that the president emptied as the worst case in history.
We continue to urge the Iranian regime not to achieve a nuclear weapon to comply with their obligations to the international community, "Prime Minister Spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus told reporters.
The move comes as Washington accuses Iran of attacking Two tankers near the Persian Gulf and the Iranians refuse responsibility. With the details creepy and no one who owns the attacks, the Pentagon released new images aimed at reinforcing its case that Iran was carrying out the attacks.
Spokesman for the state department said Iran's uranium message constituted "extortion" and a "challenge to international norms" as well as to the 2015 agreement formally known as the joint overall action plan.
"It is unfortunate that they have published this announcement today," says Ortagus. It doesn't surprise anyone, and that's why the president has often said that JCPOA should be replaced with a better deal. "
Trump seemed to say that agreement n should not be violated in a tweet: "Iran must believe Uran Stockpile Limits. "
When announcing the new post, acting defense minister Patrick Shanahan said the forces are" for defensive use to counter the air, naval and terrestrial threats in the Middle East. "
" The United States States are not seeking conflict with Iran, "Shanahan said." Today's action is taken to ensure the security and well-being of our military people working throughout the region and to protect our national interests. "He added The United States will continue to adjust the troop level as needed.
On the clean-up of the multinational nuclear agreement, some of its supporters owed Trump administration to Iran's provocative messages and said they were predictable given the renewed US pressure. 19659005] "While Iran's frustration with Trump & # 39; s ruthless and irresponsible press campaign is understandable, we urge Iran to remain in line with the nuclear agreement," said the arms control association in a statement. "It is in Iran's interests to respect the boundaries of the agreement and fully co-operate with the International Atomic Energy Agency's more urgent monitoring and verification. " Iran has not shown willingness to negotiate another agreement and promised not to enter into negotiations with the United States while the administration maintains its "maximum pressure" campaign for sanctions.
On Monday, administrative officials found themselves threatening to push the remaining parties to the agreement, including the United Kingdom, France and Germany, to demand that Iran be consistent. They must also consider whether such an attitude would essentially admit that the restrictions imposed on the Obama administration while ideal are better than none.
Under the agreement, Iran can store a stock of no more than 660 pounds (300 kg) of low enriched uranium. Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesman for Iran's nuclear agency, said it would cross this border on June 27.
A senior US official said the administration is most concerned about any breach of the agreement that would reduce the outbreak that Iran would have to produce a nuclear weapon. The agreement aimed to keep breakout time of one year.
The official said certain violations while they were not to be accepted would not necessarily reduce that time. But other violations, such as enrichment of uranium to 20%, must be dealt with immediately if they occur, the official said. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
The official said it would be up to the Europeans to decide whether Iran was in breach of the agreement and to initiate a dispute settlement mechanism that could bring the Iranians back in line. State Secretary Mike Pompeo is expected to meet this week with E.U. Foreign Policy Officer Federica Mogherini, a leading dealer that this problem is likely to raise.
Pompeo, who was a leading critic of the deal while in Congress, has previously said that Iranian compliance is not really a problem, as the administration sees the agreement as fundamentally flawed because it in time facilitates many boundaries for Iran's nuclear activities.
Nevertheless, the US ambassador to the United Nations nuclear watchdog accused last week of violating a clause on the advanced centrifuges agreement and urged Europeans to ensure that Iran remains consistent.