- A US citizen and another man believed to be Haitian Americans have reportedly been arrested in connection with the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse.
- James Solages, a U.S. citizen, was identified as a suspect by the Associated Press and The Washington Post.
- Moïse was murdered by a group of armed assailants who broke into his home around noon on Wednesday.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
A U.S. citizen and another man believed to be Haitian Americans have reportedly been arrested in connection with the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse.
James Solages, a U.S. citizen of Haitian descent, was identified Thursday as among the six people who have been bitten to the early Wednesday when the murder of Moïse was killed in his home, The Washington Post and the Associated Press reported.
The AP and the Washington Post quoted Mathias Pierre, Haiti̵
Another person arrested in connection with the murder is also believed to be a Haitian American, Pierre told news outlets. The suspected identity was not released.
Solages was reportedly a “head of bodyguards” for the Canadian embassy in Haiti, according to a nonprofit website he helped establish in South Florida, the Associated Press reported.
On the website, he is identified as the Chairman of the Board of FWA SA A JACMEL AVAN, INC. Charity Organization.
“Prior to his employment as a consultant, he began his career as a volunteer in various non-profit organizations that assist communities in need and Haiti,” reads a bio page on the website. “Mr. Solages is a youth leader and an advocate for disadvantaged children.”
The cinema also calls Solages “a certified diplomatic agent.”
Nonprofit did not immediately return requests for comment from Insider.
Moïse, 53, was murdered by a group of armed assailants who broke into his home around 6 p.m. 1 Wednesday.
Haitian first lady Martine Moïse was also critically injured in the attack. She was later flown to Miami, Florida for treatment for her gunshot wounds.
Léon Charles, the director of Haiti’s national police, told reporters on Thursday that a total of six suspects had been broken in connection with the fatal ambush.
Authorities have said four other suspects believed to be involved in the murder were killed in a gun battle with police.
Haitian authorities were still looking for more attackers, Charles said according to the Associated Press on Thursday.
“The persecution of the mercenaries continues,” Charles said Wednesday night. “Their fate is solved: they will fall in battle or be arrested.”
Pierre told The Washington Post that the nabbed suspects were detained at a police station in the capital and that a wealthy crowd had surrounded it.
“The special units are trying to protect the police station because the population is very angry and trying to get to them to burn them,” Pierre told the news outlet. “We try to avoid it.”
The identities of the other suspects were not immediately released.
Haiti’s Communications Minister Pradel Henriquez has called them “foreigners”, according to The Washington Post.