On this day, June 29…
2007: Apple releases the first mobile phone
Also on this day:
- 1927: The first trans-Pacific airplane flight is completed as US Army Air Corps Lt. Lester J. Maitland and Lt. Albert F. Hegenberger arrives at Wheeler Field in Hawaii aboard the Bird of Paradise, and Atlantic-Fokker C-2, after flying 2,400 miles from Oakland, Calif. in 25 hours, 50 minutes
- 1956: The Interstate Highway Act is signed, calling for the creation of 40,000 miles highway connecting major cities in the US
- 1964 : The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a 83-day filibuster in the Senate.
- 1967 : Actress Jayne Mansfield, 34, is killed along with her boyfriend, Sam Brody, and their driver, Ronnie Harrison, when their car slams into the rear of a tractor-trailer on a highway in Slidell, La .; Three children riding in the back, including Mansfield's 3-year-old daughter, Mariska Hargitay, survive.
- 1967: Jerusalem is unified as Israel removed barricades separating the Old City from the Israeli sector.
- 1972: The last U.S. combat brigade leaves Vietnam
- 2006: The Supreme Court rules, 5-3, that President George W. Bush's plan to try Guantanamo Bay detainees in military tribunals violated U.S. and international law
- 2009: Bernie Madoff is sent to 150 years in prison for multibillion-dollar fraud.