CLOSE

Two oil tankers near the Hormuz Strait were damaged by suspects on Thursday, an attack that left an ablaze and adrift when sailors were evacuated from both vessels, and the US Navy rushed to help. (June 13)
AP

WASHINGTON – The Ministry of Defense announced Monday night that 1,000 US troops are being sent to the Middle East in response to last week's attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, the US is attacking, Iran said.

"The recent Iranian attacks affirm the reliable and credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior of Iranian forces and their proxy groups threatening US personnel and interests throughout the region," said acting defense minister Patrick Shanahan in a statement .

The troops were authorized "for defensive use to face air, naval and terrestrial threats in the Middle East," Shanahan also said.

& # 39; Iran did it & # 39;: ] Trump addresses tank attacks, points to US military video on mine removal

More: Trump's management job selection continues to fall. But why?

Last week, the Trump administration accused Tehran of being responsible for an explosion that set two oil tankers on fire from Ireland's coast.

"Iran did," said Trump on Friday during an interview on Fox News. "They were the ones who did it." He also called Iran, "a terror terrain".

CLOSE

State Secretary Mike Pompeo says the US believes Iran is responsible for attacks that damage two oil tankers near the Persians Gulf on Thursday. Pompeo said the attacks are part of a "campaign" of Iran's escalating tension. (June 13)

AP