Armenian Americans protested on the highway near 3rd Street.
Traffic cameras showed traffic at a standstill for some time as police remained at the scene. The roadway has since reopened.
The demonstration, which has been peaceful, started earlier in the day near the Philadelphia Art Museum.
The protest has to do with the ongoing conflict between Armenian and Azerbaijani, they have been fighting for a mountain enclave Nagorno Karabakh.
Azerbaijan and Armenia agreed to a “humanitarian ceasefire” in the conflict over the disputed enclave on Saturday ̵
The new deal – scheduled to start at midnight local time (4pm ET Saturday) – was announced after both sides earlier in the day accused each other of attacks violating the Moscow-mediated, week-old peace deal.
The dispute dates back to the collapse of the Soviet Union when Nagorno Karabakh declared independence from Azerbaijan and sparked a violent conflict that ended in a shaky ceasefire in 1994.
Armenia supported Nagorno Karabakh, who established a de facto independence that is not recognized by most of the world. Although located within Azerbaijan territory, the region is populated and controlled by ethnic Armenians.
Armenia has said the current flare-up is between Karabakh and Azerbaijan.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov spoke with his Azerbaijani and Armenian counterparts by telephone on Saturday to stress the need for a ceasefire, according to Russia’s foreign ministry.
Arayik Harutyunyan, leader of the disputed region, welcomed the new peace effort and said in a statement: “The Republic of Artsakh reaffirms its readiness to abide by the humanitarian ceasefire on a reciprocal basis” in line with the ceasefire agreements reached between Moscow on Saturday and a week ago.
Nagorno Karabakh is called Artsakh by Armenians.
Before the final ceasefire attempt on Saturday, Azerbaijan accused Armenia of a rocket attack on its second-largest city, Ganja, killing at least 13 civilians – including three children – and injuring more than 50 others.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev called the missile attack a “cowardly shelling” that “cannot break the will of the Azerbaijani people.”
The attack took place in the early hours of Saturday morning, targeting civilian neighborhoods in the central part of the city, according to a statement from the Azerbaijani prosecutor’s office.
Azerbaijani Presidential Adviser Hikmet Hajiyev accused Armenia of using ballistic missiles in the attack and said authorities had evidence to support the claim, according to a Twitter post.
“Let the international community see Armenia’s barbaric actions against civilians,” Hajiyev added.
Video and photos allegedly from the scene showed rescue workers clearing rubble to reach survivors. Prosecutors said officials compiled a complete list of victims.
Last weekend, another temporary ceasefire fell apart after weeks of fighting, with the two countries handling allegations of violating the agreement amid reports of losses.
CNN contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.