قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Health https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ The man blindly goes into the right eye after contracting parasitic infection from shower in contacts – History

The man blindly goes into the right eye after contracting parasitic infection from shower in contacts – History



– A U.K. Man experienced "spooky pain" and blinded his right eye after shower in his contacts, causing a parasite to grill under the lens and into his eye, reports say.

Nick Humphreys, 29, from Shrewsbury, U.K, entered a rare parasitic infection called acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in his right cornea.

"If I had known how dangerous it was to wear contacts in the shower, I would never get them in the first place," says Humphreys, according to PA Real Life.

"After getting the infection, I went off to beat the gym every other day and play football three times a week, being resident for six months and losing the will to live. I got contacts when I didn't like how I looked in glasses and it almost cost me my right eye. "During an 18-month period, Humphreys had two operations on his eye and is now waiting for a corneal transplant that has been reserved for August 15 reported. The procedure could restore his vision.

"I've lost 18 months of my life because of something as simple as shower with contacts in," Humphreys said. "If I see again, I'll never carry contacts again. Instead of like Edgar Davids – the former Dutch professional football player – I will wear some goggles to make sports instead."

"I will owe a monumental debt of gratitude to my donor," he wrote according to CTV News.

Humphreys said he had never been warned not to roar in contact lenses, PA Real Life reported.

"On a standard morning I will wake up, pop in my lenses and go to the gym before work, then I will jump into the shower before I go to the office," he said. "I didn't think anything at the time. I was never told not to wear contact lenses in the shower, there is no warning on the packaging and my opticians have never mentioned a risk."

He said he experienced unpleasant pain due to his AK infection, CTV reported.

"I couldn't read a newspaper's page without being in unpleasant pain, light sensitivity was so bad that I had to keep the curtains drawn at all times," he wrote.

Dr. Shahzad Ihsan Mian from Kellogg Eye Center at the University of Michigan explained CTV what AK is.

"Acanthamoeba is a parasite that is actually ubiquitous, it is present in water and soil," said Mian, adding that good contact lens hygiene is the best form of bacterial prevention.

"If you are careful about cleaning your contact lenses, saving them and wearing them and avoiding situations like taking a contact lens in your eyes or swimming in a lake with contact, then you can really avoid getting this type of lens. infection, "he said.

Humphreys, a newspaper journalist, is now working on the Charity Fight for Sight to raise awareness of the danger of using contact lenses during shower or swimming, PA Real Life reported.

"It is crucial that people out there know that this is a reality and that can happen because of something as simple as getting in the bath," he said.

This story was reported from Los Angeles.


Source link