WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Food and Drug Administration has extended a recall, warning pet owners and veterinarians of high levels of aflatoxin in some pet food after 70 dogs reportedly died and over 80 others became ill.
The dog food in question has been identified as certain Sportmix products manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods. The products were voluntarily recalled by the company on December 30, 2020, but Midwestern Pet Foods extended the recall to include additional products containing corn and were manufactured at their Oklahoma production facility on Tuesday, according to the FDA.
The affected products have an expiration date of July 9, 2022 or earlier and have “05”
Aflatoxin is produced by the Aspergillus flavus form, the FDA said. It can grow on grains used as ingredients in pet food, and when high levels of aflatoxin are consumed, it can cause disease or death in pets.
Pets poisoned by aflatoxin may show symptoms that include inertia, jaundice – a yellowish tint in the eyes or gums caused by liver damage – loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea according to the FDA.
Although a pet does not show any symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning, the FDA recommends that pet owners who have pets who have eaten the affected products contact their veterinarian – as it can cause long-term liver damage.
While the FDA says there is no evidence that pet owners who have handled the affected food are at risk for aflatoxin poisoning, it recommends that they always wash their hands after handling pet food.
The following foods added to the original recall are as follows, but the FDA says there are over 1,000 affected lot codes so they are not listed individually:
- Pro Pac Mini Mini Chunk bag, 40 pounds
- Pro Pac Performance Puppy, 40 pound bag
- Splash Fat Cat 32%, 50 pound bag
- Nunn Better Maintenance, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15-pound bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 pound bag
- Sportmix Maintenance, 44 pound bag
- Sportmix Maintenance, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix High Protein, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 pound bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix Endurance, 44 pound bag
- Sportmix Endurance, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix Bite Size, 40 pound bag
- Sportmix Bite Size, 44 pound bag
- Sportmix High Energy, 44 pound bag
- Sportmix High Energy, 50 pound bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 16.5 pound bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 33 pound bag
Customers can find the party code on the back of the bag in a three-line code. The following dry pet food was marked for recall on December 30:
Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 pound bag
- Exp 03/02/22/05 / L2
- Exp 03/02/22/05 / L3
- Exp 03/03/22/05 / L2
Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 pound bag
Sportmix Premium High Energy, 50 pound bag
Sportmix Premium High Energy, 44 pound bag
Sportmix Original Cat, 31 pound bag
Sportmix Original Cat, 15 pound bag
- Exp 03/03/22/05 / L2
- Exp 03/03/22/05 / L3
Pet owners can report suspected diseases to the FDA electronically through its safety reporting portal or by calling the state’s Consumer Complaints Coordinator. The FDA also offers a guide with steps to report a complaint to pet food.
The investigation is ongoing and the scope of the recall could be expanded as new information becomes available, the FDA said.
The-CNN-Wire ™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner company. All rights reserved.
More stories you might be interested in