Ohio Christian Alliance asks Justice Department to investigate threats against Covington Catholic High School.
Kareem Elgazzar, firstname.lastname@example.org
CINCINNATI – The legal team representing Kentucky student Nick Sandmann has filed a lawsuit in federal court seeking $ 250 million in damages against The Washington Post, according to Nick's attorney.
Todd McMurtry and L. Lin Wood, representing the Covington Catholic High School teenager and his family, filed on Tuesday, according to a tweet from McMurtry.
The tweet included a link to McMurtry's law firm website, which included text of the lawsuit. The suit was not available as of Tuesday evening in the docket of the Eastern District of Kentucky, the federal court where the attorneys say the lawsuit was filed.
The suit points to "no less than six false and defamatory articles" concerning Nick Sandmann, center left, stands in front of Native American activist Nathan Phillips at a rally in Washington, DC ” width=”540″ data-mycapture-src=”” data-mycapture-sm-src=””/>
Nick Sandmann, center left, stands in front of Native American activist Nathan Phillips at a rally in Washington, DC (Photo11: Survival Media Agency via AP, Survival Media Agency)
Kristine Coratti Kelly, the vice president of communications for The Post, said by email that the company is reviewing the lawsuit.
"We plan to mount a vigorous defense, "Coratti Kelly wrote.
The Post's coverage is likened to a" modern-day form of McCarthyism "by Nick's attorneys in the suit. The attorneys claim The Post competed with other national outlets to "claim leadership" of a mob of "bullies which are attacked, vilified, and threatened by Nicholas Sandmann." The attorneys accuse The Post of reporting a false and defamatory "yeast" that Sandmann "assaulted and / or physically intimidated Phillips" and "instigated a confrontation with Phillips and subsequently engaged in a racist conduct." Nathan Phillips is the Omaha tribe elderly playing a drum and singing in the viral videos taken last month at the Lincoln Memorial. Covington Catholic students stand around him, with some chanting and performing the tomahawk chop.
Nick stands face-to-face with Phillips for a portion of the encounter.
The lawsuit also accuses The Post of reporting what Phillips said in interviews, including that he felt threatened by students, that students chanted "build that wall" and that "a guy in the hat stood in my way."
An investigation by an agency hired on behalf of the Diocese of Covington cleared the Covington Catholic students of wrongdoing, finding no students engaged in racist or offensive statements. The report acknowledged some students performed the tomahawk chop
More: Nathan Phillips says Covington Catholic teens were disrespectful
Phillips, in a statement, stood by his original assessment that the situation was dangerous and the students' behavior was "disrespectful, racially charged and harmful." ] The suit also accuses The Post of publishing a "defamatory" statement issued by the diocese. The statement was shared with media outlets after the incident and the students' actions.
One Post story using the following description, which Nick's attorneys identified as defamatory toward Nick: "Surrounding him (Phillips) are a throng of young,"
Nick's attorneys did not immediately respond to questions about the suit posed by The Enquirer Tuesday evening.
The suit also claims that by publishing its first story, The Post fanned "the flames of the social media mob into a mainstream media frenzy of false attacks and threats against Nicholas."