CHARTOUM (Reuters) – Sudan's ruling transitional military council (TMC) and opposition forces appeared on a collision course Monday amidst deeper differences in civilian rule claims more than 10 days after President Omar al-Bashir's excitement.
A protest waves the Sudanese national flag in front of the Ministry of Defense in Khartoum, Sudan on April 22, 2019. REUTERS / Umit Bektas
TMC warned Monday against people blocking roads and limiting citizens' movement and signaling a possible move against thousands of protesters who are camping outside the Ministry of Defense and blocking some roads outside the connection in the center of Khartoum.
The Council also said it was unacceptable that some young people acted as police and security services in violation of the law, a reference to the young people who have been seeking protesters taking part in sit-in.
"We urge the honorable citizens to help remove these negative characteristics affecting citizens' lives and the security of the country," said TMC in a statement, adding that roads and access routes to public transport would "open immediately".  TMC and the opposition acted threats since Sunday.
The Sudanese union (SPA), the protester's main organizer, said on Sunday that it would suspend talks with the Council.
"We have decided to choose escalation with the military council for not to acknowledge its legitimacy and to continue sit-in and escalate the protests on the streets, "said Mohamed al-Amin Abdel-Aziz from the SPA to crowds outside the Ministry of Defense Sunday.
DEMANDING CIVILIAN RULE
Opposition, led by the umbrella forces of the Declaration of Liberty and Change, which includes the SPA, has insisted on a swift transfer of power to civilians.
They have said a civilian transitional council with my Lesser representation should be set up to run Sudan for a transition that TMC has said could last for up to two years.
The SPA has also called for sweeping changes to complete a violent breakdown of disagreement, cleansing of corruption and criminality, and facilitating an economic crisis that worsens in the last years of Bashir's 30-year rule.
The Military Council, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, issued a number of decisions that seemed to meet some of the requirements.
On Monday, Burhan said that Bashir, who was held at the president's residence after his oyster, is now at Khartoum's high-observation Kobar prison. Family sources said last week that he had moved there.
Several top members of Bashir's reigning National Congress Party have been arrested, and TMC said it would retire all eight officers ranked lieutenant general in the dreaded National Intelligence and Security Service.
A number of anti-corruption and anti-graft measures have also been announced.
The protesters have stopped sitting outside the ministerial union, which also houses the president's residence since Bashir was removed on April 11. Led by SPA, they have demonstrated in large numbers in recent days.
TMC head Burhan told state television on Sunday that the formation of a joint military-civil council was being considered. "The issue has been raised for discussion and a vision has not yet been reached," he said.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates said on Sunday that they had agreed to send Sudan $ 3 billion. Assistance and throw a rescue line to the country's new military leaders.
Reporting of Khalid Abdelaziz; Writing by Yousef Saba; Editing by Gareth Jones, David Holmes and Frances Kerry