STANLY COUNTY, N.C. ̵
[ALSO READ: 1 confirmed bacterial meningitis death in North Carolina]
District officials said after receiving notification from the student's family Monday, they immediately contacted local health officials who then called the state for guidance.
They said the student was recently transferred from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District, but it was unclear from which school.
Stanly County Schools Superintendent Dr. Jeff James told Channel 9 that the protagonist had called the boy's family after several absences and that the family said the students had the flu.
"Our nurse tells us many times, this is typically what happens when you start with the flu, and then bacterial meningitis is more than a secondary infection," James said.
The student was admitted to the hospital and the family members confirmed on Monday that he was dead, James explained.
The local health department told the district the period when students could have contracted the disease and that there are no preventive measures that the school should take.
"We immediately got in touch with our local health officials, who also touched the base of the state health department and we were in dialogue with them," James Channel told 9. "As a parent of mys, I would be a little worried. It is contagious during the incubation period, so when we talked to the health officials, they felt like if someone had to come down with the same symptoms, it would already have happened. Having spoken to health officials, our understanding of this is Special meningitis not intercepted by a surface. It is typically human to human. "Additional counselors were in school on Tuesday to help support students and employees.
"The loss of such a young life leaves me speechless and in deep prayer for the family, society, and school," James said. "He was just integrating into school. Just starting their lives and for this to happen, I'm sure that the family is destroyed and there is so much prayer for the family, school and society. It is always difficult with the loss of someone but to be a child makes it extremely difficult. "
" We are not sure where the student picked it up, "James explained. "It could have been at the doctor's office. The student could have had it when they were transferred, so we reach the CMS to make sure we get the same message to the students if there are any symptoms coming up. "
The following message was sent home to parents:
" Parents, this message should inform you that there has been a confirmed case of bacterial meningitis at South Stanly High School. According to our local health department, the period during which other students could have contracted the disease has now passed, in addition, the health department has indicated that there are currently no preventive measures to be taken by the school, but as a precautionary measure we will send home information on bacterial meningitis with your student If you think your student is experiencing symptoms related to bacterial meningitis, contact your doctor immediately, although we strongly believe that was a single occurrence of the disease, we wanted to make sure that all parents were made aware of the situation so that they could respond quickly to any health problems. If you have any questions, please contact the school nurse at 704-961-4100 or the school administration at the same number.
I've talked to a family member and expressed our condolences to such a tragic loss. The student had only been with us for nine days. "
Read more top trend stories at wsoctv.com:
Loire 2019 Cox Media Group.