- Apple announced a new package subscription service on Tuesday called Apple One, which includes existing services such as Apple Music, Apple TV Plus and Apple Arcade.
- Music streaming giant Spotify reacted by accusing Apple of anti-competitive behavior, saying the bundle allows Apple to favor its own services to the detriment of developers.
- It called on regulators to control Apple’s power before it causes “irreparable damage to the developer community.”
- In response, Apple said that “customers can find and enjoy alternatives to each and every one of Apple’s services,”
- Visit the Business Insider website for more stories.
Spotify has accused Apple of anti-competitive behavior following the announcement of Apple One, a subscription bundle that ties together existing services, including Apple Music, Apple TV Plus and Apple Arcade.
Following Apple’s Tuesday announcement, music streaming giant Spotify immediately urged regulators to step in and say the package would hurt both consumers and developers.
“Once again, Apple is using its dominant position and unfair practices to harm competitors and deprive consumers by favoring its own services,” Spotify said in a statement. “We urge the competition authorities to act swiftly to curb Apple’s anti – competitive conduct, which, if left unchecked, will cause irreparable damage to the developer community and threaten our collective freedoms to listen, learn, create and connect.”
Apple reacted poorly in a statement to Reuters. “Customers can find and enjoy alternatives to every single one of Apple’s services,” it said. “We’re introducing Apple One because it’s a great value to customers and an easy way to access the full range of Apple subscription services.
“We would recommend the Apple One plan, which saves you the most money based on the subscriptions you already have. It’s perfect for anyone who loves any of our services and wants to get more for less, and it’s especially good for families. Also selected services included in Apple One are available for devices on non-Apple devices and you can cancel at any time. “
This is not the first time Spotify has accused Apple of anti-competitive behavior.
It filed an official complaint to the EU in March 2019, saying that Apple could give itself an unfair advantage by operating the App Store while launching its own music streaming service. In an open letter at the time, Spotify CEO Daniel Ek accused Apple of acting “as both a player and a referee for deliberately disadvantaging other app developers.”
Apple reacted strongly, accusing Spotify of trying to reap the benefits of the App Store without contributing to it.
Spotify’s complaint resulted in the EU opening an inquiry into Apple’s App Store policies in June this year, specifically examining Apple’s mandatory 15-30% commission on in – app payments.
Apple has been in several high-profile battles over this commission over the past few months, including with “Fortnite” maker Epic Games and Facebook.