South Carolina football hosts the Auburn Tigers No. 1
Dave Pasch will serve as play-by-play voice for ESPN with Greg McElroy delivering the analysis. Holly Rowe handles the sideline reporting.
This is the 13th all-time meeting between South Carolina and Auburn, with the Tigers holding a commanding 10-1-1 advantage, including a 3-0 record when the games have been played in Columbia and a 4-0 mark when the teams have met in Auburn. The last time they met, South Carolina went into Jordan-Hare Stadium and pushed No. 5/6 Auburn to the brink in a shootout before falling 42-35 on October 25, 2014.
Follow below with live updates and analyzes in the game by refreshing the page throughout the action, and join the discussion on Plano’s Palmetto Proving Grounds table by clicking HERE.
– It looks like Gamecocks will be without cornerbacks Israel Mukuamu and Cam Smith today. Both were not seen as the entire team warmed up for 30 minutes until kickoff.
– A new offensive tackle duo looks set to debut today. Jazston Turnetine (left tackle) and Dylan Wonnum (right tackle) were announced as starters as lineups were shown on the Williams-Brice Stadium video table.
– Freshman quarterback / wide receiver Luke Doty took warmups snaps with the receivers as Collin Hill and Ryan Hilinski took quarterback reps.
– Today’s Gamecock captains: Nick Muse, Brad Johnson, Shi Smith and Ernest Jones.
– Auburn wins the coin toss and chooses to be different. Gamecocks receives.
– Opening the kickoff gives a touchback. Kevin Harris takes the first carry and gets a yard. Harris carries again, gets two more yards. On the 3rd and 7th, the disputed deep ball to Xavier Legette falls incompletely. Legette got a hand on it. Kai Kroeger’s points take a good jump and are lowered by Carolina special teams on the 20-yard line.
– Opening the game for the Tigers is a flea flicker attempt for Anthony Schwartz, but it falls incompletely. Tank Bigsby is stopped after a win on a farm. 3rd and 9th find Bo Nix DJ Williams for a 22-yard win. Two pieces later, Seth Williams collects a first down. After a short finish to Schwartz and an incomplete pass, Nix takes the first one down with his legs. On the next series, Bigsby picks up first, the Tigers down to SC20. Incomplete pass to the end zone, broken up by Jaycee Horn. Nix is fired by Keir Thomas in second place. 3rd and 12 are short passes to Schwartz a win of five. Field target unit comes out. The field of 35 yards is good. Auburn leads 3-0
– Gamecocks start again at 25 yard line after touchback. Harris carries up the middle going two yards. Collin Hill is fired in second place. Gamecock’s offensive line is beaten during the race. 3rd and 13th Kevin Harris breaks to 78 yard touchdown runs, but a flag on the piece will bring it all the way back. Jovaughn Gwyn called for the hold. Now on the 3rd and 23rd, Dakereon Joyner’s short passes go without a win. Kroeger punts fair caught on the Auburn 44-yard line.
– Tigers pick up eight meters in the air at first down. They move the chains on the next game and are now in the Carolina area at the 37-yard line. After reverse play that wins 12 yards, Bigsby wins 14 yards after breaking several tackles. On the 1st and 10th from the 11-yard line, Horn breaks what would have been a touchdown catch. Horn breaks another upcoming touchdown, dropped by Seth Williams. Eli Stove scores a touchdown, uncovered by the slanted game. Two-point conversion is not good. Auburn leads 9-0
– Gamecocks is backed up to launch their third drive. After Shi Smith returns to the 18-yard line, a holding penalty pushes it back to the 9-yard line. Smith takes eight yards up at first down. Harris cannot pick up a farm on another descent. On the 3rd and 2nd, Harris picks a first down with a catch. He brings it out to the 29-yard line. Passes intended for Smith down the Auburn sideline are incomplete. Smith takes a handoff from Hill and tackles for a loss of four yards. On the 3rd and 14th, Auburn defensive backs are called pass interference covering Smith down the Gamecock sideline. Carolina up to 40 yards line after penalty. Passing attempts to Smith with Hill rolling out to his right are dropped. Deshaun Fenwick’s first carry is a six-yard run. On the 3rd and 4th from the 46-yard line, Smith drops a pass. Point unit comes out. Kroeger turns the field with a 51-yard punt that falls dead on the 3-yard line.
– Schwartz quickly gets it out to the 25-yard line on first possession. The first quarter ends with the Tigers facing a 3rd and 6th on the 29-yard line. END Q1: Auburn 9 – Carolina 0
– False start makes it to 3rd and 11th Horn pulls in an interception as Nix encrypted and threw balance. It’s the first interception of Horn’s career in South Carolina. Gamecocks takes over on the Tigers ’29 yard line. After a Harris 4-yard run, Smith first catches down, up to the 16-yard line. Harris leads the middle four yards up. Harris first takes up with a catch out of the backfield. It is first and goal at the 3-yard line. Harris sticks it in, but play is reviewed. It is maintained, touchdown for sophomore tailback. Auburn leads 9-7
– Touchback. After two short drives from Bigsby, Nix first picks up on designed driving games. Nix throws up a 50-50 ball that is somehow caught by Seth Williams over Jaycee Horn at the 15-yard line. Bigsby takes it down to the 2-yard line. There are questions about a fumble, but it looks like he was down. No review of the play. Will Muschamp calls timeout with Carolina’s defense backed up as much as possible. Bigsby is hardly touched as he goes up the middle for the touchdown. It was a 7-play, 75-yard drive, highlighted by a 44-yard catch by Williams over Horn. Auburn leads 16-7
– Touchback. First play is a 20-yard pickup as Hill finds Nick Muse. After a passing pass on the line with scrimmage and a Hill scramble without a win, the 3rd and 10th are from the 45-yard line. Hill is under pressure and gives out until Rico Powers goes out earlier than the freshman expected. He was doubly covered. Point by Kroeger is down at the 8-yard line.
– Williams carries six yards on first down. Two pieces later, on the third down, Nix picks up another first down with his legs. Williams is caught without a win at the next game. Capers drops a first pass down. 3rd and 10th with a flag on the piece, the Tigers do not collect first. Kingsley Enagbare called for offsides, five-yard penalties and now 3rd and 5th from the 39-yard line. Tip fitting by Horn and Jaylin Dickerson picks it up. Gamecocks take over at the Tigers ’49 yard line.
– Two-yard back-to-back wins for Fenwick. Hill then finds Smith to first down. On the next game, the same connection goes six yards. Fenwick takes up first, up to the 23-yard line. Fenwick gets it again, picking up another six yards. Fenwick takes up two more yards. Gamecocks hurry up and Fenwick gets just enough. Harris replaces him. Hill goes to Josh Vann and he collects the first down, stopping at the 2-yard line. Harris takes up a farm. With: 42 left on the clock, Muschamp takes a timeout. Auburn counts with a timeout after the Gamecocks come out in the finish line package with full back Adam Prentice. Hill pushes the ball over himself for a touchdown. It will be reviewed. It is maintained. Auburn leads 16-14 ,: 35 back in the first half
– Mitch Jeter kicks the ball off the field. Tigers start possession on the 35-yard line with two timeouts. First down pass game is incomplete. Second down is a five-yard pickup. Stove picks up first. Nothing runs out of bounds, no gain. With the clock stopped and three seconds left to play on the Auburn 49-yard line, Muschamp takes the final timeout of the half. Nothing is fired. HALF: Auburn 16 – Carolina 14
– Touchback. Short wins at first and second down for Tigers. 3rd and 10th outside Carolina. At the next game, Horn called for a defensive stance. Tigers then pick up two more first downs, up to SC27. RJ Roderick injured at game. The Tigers pick up another six yards on possession and Carlson’s 38-yard field goal is good. Auburn leads 19-14
– Touchback. Harris wins eight yards on first down carry. He is a half yard short for the first down on the next game. He collects the first one down and Auburn is called the face mask. Gamecocks have ball on the 50-yard line. Screen pass to Smith takes up five yards. Incomplete passport intended for Legette. Harris picks up a lot more first. That’s a 19 yard win down to the 26 yard line. Fenwick then leads it down to the 8-yard line. Hill encrypts, losing two on the piece. Aside from free play, jump ball and Smith come down with it. Now Gamecocks goes to two and it fails. However, the Gamecocks have their first lead. It was a 9-play, 75-yard drive. South Carolina leads 20-19
– Auburn takes kickoff out to 31 yard line. Slaughtered passes first down. Nix takes a farm up in second place. Incomplete passport. Punt is justly caught by Jammie Robinson on the 28 yard line.
– Dakereon Joyner picks up 14 yards on reverse play. Harris follows with a four-yard run, lowering his shoulder. Harris picks up another three yards. On the 3rd and 3rd from the 50-yard line, deep passes are intended for Keveon Mullins incomplete, but are called defensive pass interference. Gamecocks now up to Auburn’s 35-yard line. Harris takes four feet up on the ground. After Adam Prentice first picks up with a reception, Hills’ plan for Dakereon Joyner is tipped and picked off, no return.
– Auburn holds possession at the 18-yard line. At the second down, Schwartz picks up first. On the 3rd down and 7, the Nix pass is calculated for Williams selected by Horn and returned to the 8 yard line.
– At the first game, Harris runs it in for the score, untouched. South Carolina leads 27-19
– Touchback. Nix hurries four meters. Incomplete for Schwartz. 3rd and 6th from the 29-yard line with: 16 left in the quarter, Malzahn takes timeout. Nix hurries around a yard outside the marker, but Auburn is called to team. Now 3rd and 16th from the 19-yard line, but the running clock ends the quarter. END Q3: South Carolina 27 – Auburn 19
– Almost like the huge Carolina touchdown that was ignored in the first quarter is called a giant, field-flipping catch and run by Williams due to a team call. Auburn picks up a few yards at the next game, but is shortly after the marker and must put. Gamecocks get it on their own 21-yard line.
– Botched snap on first down forced Hill to fall on top of the ball, a loss of five yards. Fenwick picks up the five yards and a few more to make it 3rd and 7 from the 24-yard line. Smith with an acrobatic catch picks up 32 yards up to the Auburn 44-yard line. Hill to Muse in nine yards and then Fenwick moves the chains with an 8-yard run. Fenwick again, in four yards. Incomplete passport intended for Mullins. Fenwick takes up two more yards but cannot move the chains. Parker White’s 39-yard line gives the Gamecocks a two-point lead with 9:13 left to play. South Carolina leads 30-19