The Chinese model featured in a Dolce & Gabbana ad campaign accused of racism has said the controversy is almost ruined.
Three videos, released in November, showed Zuo Ye struggling to eat Italian food including cannoli and pizza with chopsticks.
Widely seen as offensive it led to a severe backlash in China with several retailers pulling the brand's products. ] Ms Zuo said she field "guilty and ashamed" but asked for understanding.
Following here statement on Chinese social media network Weibo, the debate has flared up again with some people saying that they can continue her career as a model and that they understand her hands are working with D&G.
'' I just killed my career '
In a long post on Monday, Ms Zuo said that usually working for an international brand like D&G would be an exciting career step but that in this case "it nearly killed off my modeling career ".
She explains she understands that "about the national image of China and Chinese culture" and that she "feels even more guilty and ashamed".
Image to [my behavior] in the future
- Dolce & Gabbana products pulled in China
- D&G cancels show amid racism accusations
According to her statement, she knew the shoot was about trying Italian delicacies but she felt very awkward when she was asked to eat food like pizza and pasta with chopsticks
The director customs here to show first shock and disbelief, then roll her eyes, and eventually delight and satisfaction at the presumed tastiness of said Italian dishes, she said.
The model explains that she He did not see the final clip before it was released.
She also did not receive any support during the backlash, even when she, her family and agent were all targeted in widespread attacks on social media.
Support and condemnation
Since Ms Zuo's post, opinion has been divided on Chinese social media.
While some are here as a victim of the Italian brand and sympathize with her experience, others remain critical saying she only had herself to blame
Others again point out the problem with the powerlessness of models in the industry as a whole where they are often made to do things they might not necessarily want to do.
In November last year, D&G released the videos on social media ahead of a fashion show in Shanghai.
"Chinese consumers are not naïve; they will spot insincerity and tokenism a mile off, and responded accordingly, "Dr. Julie Bilby of the media and communication at RMIT University in Melbourne told the BBC.
The controversy continues when screenshots were circulated showing designer Stefano Gabbana allegedly insulting China in Instagram chat.
D&G insisted the account had been hacked and apologized publicly for the controversial ad campaign.
The Italian luxury company was forced to cancel the fashion show in Shanghai and their products were removed from several Chinese online retailers.
Consumers in China also called for a boycott of the brand.