CHUCK TODD spoke to PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP on NBC's "MEET THE PRESS" …
"According to Prime Minister Abe, they went to him, it is according to the prime minister and they said, "What are we going to do with Trump? Can we make a deal? Is there anything that can be done?" That said Prime Minister Abe to me, I said, "Do you mind if I say that if I must? "And he said," Not very much. "So they came to Prime Minister Abe. He then called me. I said," Send the following message: You can't have nuclear weapons. And besides that, we can sit down. down and make one But you can't have an atom. & # 39; "
– TRUMP on John Bolton:" I have some hawks. Yes, John Bolton is definitely a hawk. If it were up to him, would he take the whole world at once, okay? "
– REGRETS: " I would say if I had one over, it would be, I would not have named Jeff Sessions to be attorney general. It would be my one – " TODD: " That's your opinion, it's your worst mistake? " TRUMP: " Yes, that was the biggest mistake. "
] – TRUMP at Pelosi: TODD: " Let me ask you this, why do you think Nancy Pelosi has kept her persecution caucus? " TRUMP: ] "Because I think she feels that I will win much easier. I mean, I have been told by many people. "
– TO CHOICE MESSAGE: TODD: " You will see Vladimir Putin in a week. " TRUMP: " Yes. I want to see many people. " TODD: " Do you want to turn directly into interference by 2020? " TRUMP: " I must . " TODD: " Do you want to tell him – " TRUMP: " I must. " TODD: "- Not to do it?" TRUMP: ] "I can, if you want me to do it, I do it."
– TODD: "Are you ready to lose?" TRUMP: "No. Certainly not. Probably not." TODD: "Much she – I mean you joke -" TRUMP: "That would be a lot Better, it would be much better if I said, "Yes. "It would be much easier for me to say," Oh yes. "No, I'm probably not too prepared to lose. I don't like to lose. I haven't lost much in my life."
Happy Sunday morning.
SNEAK PEEK … THE PRESIDENT'S WEEK: Monday: The president will have lunch with VP Mike Pence and sign a decree on "Improving price and quality transparency in health care." Tuesday: President will present the honorary medal to David G. Bellavia. Wednesday: The president will speak in faith and the path of the freedom mission to the majority conference before flying to Osaka, Japan.
SPOTTED: Bernie Sanders dined with Danny Glover, Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), Cornell West and Nina Turner at Motor Supply Co. in Columbia. (hat tip: Bloomberg's Emma Kinery)
ABOUT IRAN … WSJ's MIKE BENDER and GORDON LUBOLD: "Trump Bucked National Security Aides at Proposed Iran Attack ": " President Trump bowled most of his best national security advisors by giving up retaliation in Iran on Thursday. In private talks on Friday, Mr. Trump revealed in his judgment some of his decision to interrupt the attacks while he talked about his administration as if it had been removed from the middle of it. "These people will push us into a war and it is so disgusting," said Mr. Trump a confidant about his own inner circle of advisers. We don't need any more wars. "" WSJ
– NEWS ED WONG and MICHAEL CROWLEY: "Pompeo, a persistent shark, throws a hesitation on Iran" "The debate on the strike showed that the uncompromising Hawk views, Mr. Pompeo, possessed There, in Iran, begins to clash with the perspective of a president who is deeply skeptical of military confusion, especially in the Middle East. Mr. Pompeo is unlikely to publicly signal frustration with the president.
"Some officials say he would work through the bureaucracy to push his political goals, while on the surface he stuck to the role of the loyal soldier if he just ended up with political ambitions, as Mr Trump's support would be invaluable for. Despite Mr. Pompeo's insistence that he has "excluded" a Senate running next year in Kansas, many Trump administration officials expect him to enter the race. " NEWS VP MIKE PENCE told JAKE TAPPER CNN's "STATE FOR THE UNION" that the president will announce further sanctions against Iran tomorrow.
CHRIS WALLACE spoke to SEN. TOM COTTON (R-ARK.) on "FOX NEWS SUNDAY": COTTON: "I think retaliation was justified when we talk about foreign vessels on the open sea, I think they were entitled to an American unmanned aircraft, and what I see is that Iran is continually marching up the escalation chain, which started with threats, then attacked ships and ports, attacked ships at sea now it is an unmanned American aircraft "I fear that if Iran does not have a set set of boundaries drawn around, its behavior would see an attack on an American ship or American manned aircraft."
– WAPO # S SIMON DENYER in Tokyo: North Korea's Kim Receives Outstanding Letters & # 39; from Trump, state media say, "" North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has received an "excellent" letter from President Trump and is seriously considering what his US counterpart had to say, North Korean state media reported Sunday. Earlier this month, Trump announced that he had received a "beautiful letter" from Kim breaking the silence between the two men since a Hanoi Summit in February ended in failure. Now Trump seems to have written back and received a similar warm answer. Kim said with satisfaction that the letter is of excellent content, reported the Korean Central News Agency.
"& # 39; It appreciates the political judiciary and extraordinary against by President Trump, Kim Jong Un, said he would seriously consider the interesting content," said the agency. The White House has not commented, but there will inevitably be speculation that the letters could pave the way for a third summit between the two leaders. " WaPo
ANITA KUMAR:" Trump does not always learn easily goes it alone "
CNN's JAKE TIPS: "Nancy Pelosi called Trump Friday night and asked him to interrupt the ICE raids ": " Trump and Pelosi spoke at 7:20 in the afternoon ET Friday night for approx. 12 minutes, according to the source. White House Vice President Judd Deere confirmed a phone call took place on Friday night between Trump and Pelosi. A senior democratic aide said that Trump is trying to leverage a situation where he has no one and adds that it does not work. Democrats will not compromise their values, aide said. "He's gone from several offers of immigration. We have no illusions here." CNN
– TAPPER got pence to say toothbrushes, blankets and medications should be given to children at the border – something DOJ's lawyer did not agree with in court. Clip
BUZZFEED & # 39; s HAMED ALEAZIZ and ADOLFO FLORES: wo senior administration officials told BuzzFeed News that within the administration believes the Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan, or his staff, is leaking operational details and that is ultimately jeopardizing the ICE operation. "Leakage of locations and details to stop the operation not only damages operational integrity, but it jeopardizes its own officials, "a senior administrative official said.
" & # 39; ICE mission is enforcing the laws of the country and removing those illegally present in the country. if given by a judge This will leave an impenetrable mark on his term of office. & # 39; DHS officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the case. " BuzzFeed
– @Haleaziz: "! Formerly ICE dir. Tom Homan accused of performing DHS Sec. McAleenan of & # 39; opposes what ICE is trying to do & # 39; In this operation and heavily involving McAleenan leaked surgery details to the Washington Post. Homan was picked by Trump to be the & # 39; border czar. & # 39; " Video
NEW JONATHAN MARTIN and ASTEAD W. HERNDON :" The Black Voice is Not Monolithic: 2020 Democrats Find Split Preferences in South Carolina ": " Recent polls have shown [Biden] with support from about 50 percent of African-American voters in the state. That's what raises Mr. Bitten by its 22 democratic rivals; Even though he is often portrayed as a master of the white working class, he is seen by many black voters as the play-it-safe choice that could best recreate the multirateral Obama coalition.
"But many young black voters are attracted to Elizabeth Warren and her plan to cancel student loans, while others prefer Bernie Sanders and his calls for systemic change. Some black women like Kamala Harris's management style and her personal history as a candidate at Howard University And some black men sort up Cory Booker who uses the black church cadets in his stub number. " NEW
– MARTHA RADDATZ spoke to SEN. CORY BOOKER on CBS & # 39; "FACE THE NATION": RADDATZ: "And Sen. Booker, I will return to politics and to Vice President Bids comments. He said he worked together with segregationists in the congress to get it done. You have called the comments deeply disappointing, but the two spoke privately on Wednesday night. What was your takeaway from that conversation? "
BOOKER :" Now I have said my peace "I have great respect for Joe Biden and a gratitude to him and have even more responsibility than I should have – be honest with him to speak the truth to power. He is a presidential candidate and says something – and again it is not about Work across the board if something I have made as a hallmark of my time in the Senate to finish big things and the law passed.
"This is about him who evokes a terrible power dynamics that he showed lack understanding or insensitivity by invoking say this idea that he was called the son of white segregationists, who – yes they see him – in him, their son. "
– CBS & # 39; KEEFE interviewed SEN. KAMALA HARRIS for " FACE THE NATION " (will also run on" CBS This Morning "tomorrow": "2020 Democratic hopeful Sen. Kamala Harris of California reiterated his support for prosecution against President Trump, but admitted that there are tensions in the democratic party over the future. In an interview with CBS News, political correspondent Ed & # 39; Keefe, Harris said she believes that impeachment is "the existential issue."
"& # 39; This is the excitement that is, you stand to fight for these principles was part of – the spirit behind the design of our democracy, control and balance, accountability?" Harris asked. "Or do you stand with strategy, which is the ultimate goal, and if it says that this guy shouldn't be in the office and if it could hurt the chances of winning a choice, you should keep from it?" " CBS
REALITY INTERVENES AGAIN FOR BUTTIGIEG … SOUTH BEND TRIBUNE:" One person dead, up to 10 other wounded in shootings early Sunday in the South Bend bar ":" A person is dead and as many as 10 others are wounded after shots at an eastern bar early in the day. " South Bend Tribune ]
POLITICO MAGAZINE -" What mayor Pete couldn't do about South Bend Cops: The fatal shooting that blew Pete Buttiggie's campaign this week has a 7- yearly backstory, "by Adam Wren in South Bend for POLITICO Magazine
BORDER TALES -" Stop Repeating History ": Plan to keep migrant children in for more Internation Camp Draws Outrage," by Ben Fenwick in NYT in Fort Sill, Okla.: "For Satsuki Ina, born in a Japanese-American internment camp during World War II, the news that the United States would detain undocumented immigrant children at this army base in Oklahoma felt like An unwelcome wallop from the past. The base, Fort Sill, Okla., Once held 700 Japanese Americans living in tents in desert heat, surrounded by barbed wire and guards, they were among the more than 100,000 Japanese ancestors who were rounded off by government during the war and appeal right in the freedom camps around the country.
"Ms. Ina and more than 200 protesters arrived at Fort Sill on Saturday to protest against the government's latest plan for the base: to house 1,400 unrecorded children who arrived in the United States without a parent or guardian. The protests called the plan, which was announced this month, a return to one of the country's great shame. "We're here to say," Stop repeating the story, "Ina, 75, said at a press conference on Saturday, standing in front a secret view outside the base. " NEWS
-" Within a Texas Building where the Government Holds Immigrant Children, " by New York's Isaac Chotiner
CNN's PAM BROWN and MANU RAJU: "Democrats cut agreement to hear from the White House Council's office interior, says source": "The House's Judiciary Seems having reached an agreement with the former White House aide Annie Donaldson who would allow her not to appear to the committee before Monday's deadline and answer written questions instead, according to sources familiar with the case. " CNN
GABE DEBENEDETTI in NY Mag, " "It's Hell": The Democrats' debate preparation is getting right ": " Biden discussed well in the 2008 cycle and as Vice President in 2012, but it has been seven years, and now he knows he is everyone's best goal. Several candidates to debate him next week expect both Kirsten Gillibrand and Kamala Harris to go after his flip-flop on the Hyde change, Harris to attack him on his criminal record, Bernie Sanders to criticize his "middle ground & "Plans, and Pete Buttigieg to beat him in his signature generational terms. On both nights, they have suspected candidates will retrieve Bid's latest comments on working with segregationist senators. And Biden is preparing for it all." NEW Mag
– "What the 2020 Democrats are like behind the scenes" of NYT's Alex Burns: "[S] ome of the most narrative – and in some cases scary or endearing – moments with the candidates happened outside The camera, or outside the context of the interview. [John] For example, Hickenlooper appeared in our office confused because he had lost his wallet and the acquaintance carelessly that it had been a long time since one he had treated certain indignities to be a citizen. After the interview had learned that his flight home had been canceled, Mr Hickenlooper contested the development; he lingered in the newsroom and talked to our colleague Stephanie Saul about Teddy Roosevelt's relationship with his day's muckraking reporters.
"Ms. Harris arrived at the newspaper with a complaint and a request. She asked Patrick Healy, our policy editor, whether The New York Times could make it easier to read articles offline on the paper's smartphone app. for a West Coast lawyer who is regularly confined to transcontinental aircraft with spotty Wi-Fi Mr. Harris – who was most animated in the interview when she discussed her passion for cooking – also asked to meet Sam Sifton, the food editor.  "The two are soon quoting recipes in the midst of a labyrinth of desks and a gathering of spectators. (Ms. Harris was less enthusiastic when Carolyn Ryan, a masthead editor approached to ask her for a thriving crisis at the end of March to Mr. Biden, involving her physical behavior with women.) " NEWS  A message from BP:
HMM … STAR TRIBUNE – "New documents reverse questions about Rep. Ilhan Omar's marriage story " by J. Patrick Coolican and Stephen Montemayor:" New study papers published by a state body have revived lingering questions about the history of Rep. Ilhan Omar's marriage and whether she once married a man – possibly his own brother – that crazy immigration laws. Omar has denied the allegations in the past and dismissed them as "basic rumors" that were first raised in an online Somali policy forum and disputed by conservative bloggers during her 2016 campaign for the Minnesota House. But she said a little then or since about Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, the former man who swept into her life in 2009 before a separation in 2011.
"The questions reappeared this month in a state probe of campaign finance breach at Omar filed federal taxes in 2014 and 2015 with her current husband, Ahmed Hirsi while she was still legally married but separated from Elmi. Although she has legally corrected the disagreement, she has declined to say anything about how or why it happened. Star Tribune
BONUS GREAT WEEKEND READ, curated by Daniel Lippman, filing from Aspen, Colorado:
– "The Problem of HR" by Caitlin Flanagan in the July July issue of the Atlantic : "For 30 years, we have entrusted human resources to prevent and solve sexual harassment in the workplace. How does it work?" The Atlantic Ocean
– "What Abortion Access is Like in Mississippi: One Person at a Time" [1 9459015] by Zoë Beery in NY Times Magazine: "With state legislators adopting new abortion restrictions, the Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund follows its own compass on how best to help clients. " NEWS
-" What really happened to Malaysia's missed flights " Langewiesche on the front of July's Atlantic:" It's easy to imagine Zaharie [Ahmed Shah] towards the end, attached to an extremely comfortable seat in the cockpit, inhabiting its cocoon in the glow of well-known instruments, knowing that it could not be returned from what he had done, and did not have to rush. Around. 7 the sun was rising over the eastern horizon to the left. A few minutes later, the sea lit far below. " Atlantic Ocean
-" Birth and death of a bicycle company: What happened to SpeedX " by Iain Treloar in bike tips – by TheBrowser.com description:" A poignant account of the rise and fall of SpeedX, a Chinese startup that promised to build a better bike, traveled $ 15 million, was about to share bicycles, traveled and spent another $ 100 million, and then probably made the most catastrophic blunders in the story of marketing. On June 4, 2017, the anniversary of the celestial massacre, cycling avatars on the SpeedX bike exchange program were replaced by avatars of small thoughts rolled through the center of Beijing. Literally everywhere, the company was doomed. " Bicycle Tips
-" Who gets to own the vest? " of NYT's Julie Turkewitz in Idaho City, Idaho:" A new group of billionaires shadows the landscape. " NEWS
-" Hidden Men " by E. Jean Carroll on the cover of NY Mag:" Donald Trump attacked me in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room 23 years ago. But he is not alone in the list of terrible men in my life. " NEW Mag
-" The construction of wind turbines was easy. The hard part plugged them in, " by WSJ's Russell Gold in an adaptation of" Superpower: One Man's Quest to Transform American Energy ":" In the Oklahoma pan trade, an entrepreneur experienced a future that was driven of cheap and clean energy. But there was a big snag. " WSJ … $ 17.70 on Amazon
-" Goodbye, Chrome: Google's web browser has been spyware ", by WaPo's Geoffrey A. Fowler : "Our latest privacy tests showed that Chrome ushered more than 11,000 tracker cookies into our browser for a single week. Here's why Firefox is better. " WaPo
-" Joe Exotic Built a Wild Animal Kingdom. He was the most dangerous preacher to all of them, " by Sean Williams in The Daily Beast:" A clever and fun persona created an empire. A murder plot brought it down. " The Daily Beast
-" The country where the Internet ends " by Hedenske Kennedy in NYT in Green Bank, W.Va:" To find true loneliness you have to go out of reach. But every year it is harder to do when the US off-the-grid sites disappear. " NEWS
-" The Unloated Mystery of the Malibu Creek Murder " by Zach Baron in GQ:" When a man was killed in Malibu Creek State Park last summer while camping with his two young daughters, it sent the calm, southern California community to hysterical spawning amateur wheels, conspiracy theories, and public paranoia. Was it related to a rash of unsolved events in the area? But while the success of the tragedy publicly played out as a new series of series, there was also a family who left to gather the pieces after a seemingly random act of violence. This is a story of what happens when lightning strikes the most chilling way to imagine. " GQ (h / t Longform.org)
-" Something borrowed, some blue " by Dan Nosowitz in BuzzFeed in September 2014:" In 1937, my grandparents started a workwear company in New England called Madewell. In 2006, 17 years after the last factory closed, J.rew resumed a women's clothing company with the same name and logo, based on a 50-year history where it had no role. " BuzzFeed (h / t Longform.org)
SPOTTED: Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) Shopping at Jenkins Row Harris Teeter … Bill Weld in Portsmouth, NH Pic … Hungarian Ambassador László Szabó plays guitar and sitar with jazz fusion band Djabe at Kennedy Center. Pic Italian Ambassador Armando Varricchio, Kazakh Ambassador Erzhan Kazykhanov and Portuguese Ambassador Domingos Fezas Vital also participated.
SPOTTED on a joint book party at Juleanna Glover's house last night for Jim Sciutto's "The Shadow War: Within Russia and China's Secret Operations to Defeat America" ( ] $ 18.98 on Amazon ) and Winston Lord's Kissinger on Kissinger ( $ 17.10 on Amazon ): Norah O & # 39; Donnell and Geoff Tracy, Tom Nides and Virginia Moseley, Tammy Haddad, Suzanne Kianpour, Kaitlan Collins, Melanne Verveer, Mike Abramow itz, Gloria Riviera, Dan Yergin, Indira Lakshmanan, Karin Tanabe, Shayna Estulin, Jeff and Mary Zients, Eric Lipton, Mike Allen, Mike Pillsbury and Paula Dobriansky.
WEEKEND WEDDING – "Bryana Turner, Robert Jackson Jr." – NY Times: "Mrs. Jackson, 31, is the founder and principal of the Turner Divorce Association … Mr. Jackson, 42, is a Commissioner at the United Nations Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington. service from the faculty of NYU Legal School, where he specializes in company law and financial regulation. He previously served in the Obama administration as an advisor to senior finance ministers during the financial crisis. " With a picture. NEWS