LAS VEGAS – OJ Simpson and a hotel casino in Las Vegas have settled a lawsuit alleging that unnamed employees defamed him by telling a celebrity news website that he had been banned from the property in November 2017 for being intoxicated and disruptive.
Simpson’s attorney, Malcolm LaVergne, on Thursday declined to comment on the deal with Nevada Property 1 LLC, the business owner of The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.
“The case is settled,” LaVergne said.
A spokeswoman for Cosmopolitan declined immediate comment.
Lawyers for the company had argued that the former football star could not be defamed because his reputation was already tarnished by his criminal and civil lawsuits in the death of his ex-wife and her friend in Los Angeles decades ago and his conviction and imprisonment in Nevada in a armed search from 2007.
LaVergne had raised the ghost of racial bias by hotel officials.
Terms were not disclosed in the dismissal filed March 31
Simpson, now 73, is on parole in Nevada and lives in a closed golf course community following his release from prison in July 2017. He had served nine years for armed robbery, kidnapping and assault with a weapon.
The lawsuit against Cosmopolitan acknowledged that Simpson was notified after spending several hours with two friends in a steakhouse and a lounge that it was forbidden to return to the property. He said he never got any reason. Simpson denied in his trial that he was “waging war,” breaking glass or damaging property.
LaVergne said at the time that his client’s reputation was damaged by accounts quoted in a TMZ report that Simpson “was intoxicated and became disruptive” at a resort bar. TMZ was not a defendant in the case.
Simpson went to jail after being convicted in Las Vegas in October 2008 for leading five men, including two with guns, in a violent confrontation with two collectors and a space in a cramped room at a casino hotel off the strip. .
Simpson always maintained that he was trying to retrieve personal memorials stolen from him after his 1995 acquittal in the killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman in Los Angeles. He said family photos and other items disappeared before he was found responsible in civil law in February 1997 and ordered to pay $ 33.5 million to the Brown and Goldman estate.