ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (FOX 13) – The second case of carnivorous bacteria has been reported from the Bay Area, this time in a man who visited from Ohio last month.
Doctors could save the man's foot after his spring-track trip to Pinellas County.
Barry Briggs probably violated the bacteria when he and his son were in the water from Weedon Island on 23 March. That night, Briggs & # 39; foot began to swell.
Less than 48 hours later, after returning home, Briggs was in the hospital during emergency surgery. He will never forget what the surgeon told him before he went under the knife.
"I really hope I don't have to take your foot." So that was when the whole thing got in place, brought it home to me, "Briggs said." Although my wife had started to tell me some of the things that might go wrong, it really hurt it in my brain. "
Continue reading under
Doctors saved his foot and potentially his life.
" Everything I think went right. I feel very fortunate that we had all these pieces in place, "he said.
This is the second carnivorous bacterial case in the Bay Area in less than a month, not long after Briggs had been infected. cessation, Mike Walton ended up with one in his hand after cutting himself with a fishing hook.
Both cases happened outside Pinellas County.
"They said in a few hours it would have gone up in my arm in the chest, and I would not have been here, "Walton told FOX 13.
Dr. Jeremy Kirtz, an adventhealth doctor in Tampa, said these cases are rare, but even the smallest open wounds can become a serious problem. If it gets infected.
"Any break in the skin can cause it, even if something like an athlete's foot, chronic wounds in the skin, because the skin is what protects you from the outside world," Kirtz said. . You must show in the hospital. You need surgery to save that limb and, if it spreads, to save your life. "
Kirtz said that people who are diabetic are at greater risk of coming down with a meat-eating bacterial infection. These cases are rare. He is treated about four in his 13 years as a doctor.
These Cases are important reminders to make sure the cuts are healed before they enter the water, especially in the warmer months. Kirtz said it is important to get to the hospital quickly if an open wound appears infected and its condition worsens.