• New Zealand was hit by grief and horror on Sunday, when the death toll rose to 50 people two days after a gunman opened fire in two mosques in the city of Christchurch. The terrorist attack seemed to have been carried out by a white nationalist who posted a racist manifesto online and streamed live video of the killings on Facebook.
• A 28-year-old man from Australia was charged with murder and appeared Saturday morning in a Christchurch courtroom. Court papers identified him as Brenton Harrison Tarrant. The new police in New Zealand said he would pay additional costs.
Suspect will be tried in New Zealand, says Ardern
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Sunday that the suspect accused of the Christchurch shootings, an Australian citizen is being tried in New Zealand and that her government would discuss the country's arms law on a meeting on Monday.
"There will be changes in our arms laws," she said at an afternoon conference.
She also said she would look at reports that there was an increase in arms trade in New Zealand since the attack on Friday.
A 28-year-old man from Australia has been charged with murder and appeared Saturday morning in a Christchurch courtroom. Court papers identified him as Brenton Harrison Tarrant.
Ms. Ardern said he would face more charges, but she did not say whether terrorist acts were being considered. She said she was seeking advice on whether Tarrant could be extradited to Australia, but that his trial would take place in New Zealand.
"He will certainly face New Zealand's legal system for the terrorist attack he has committed here," she said.
There was no other shooter, Mrs. Ardern said. She said that a person had been detained as a result of evidence collected during the investigation, but that there was no evidence he was associated with the attack.
Nine minutes before the attack, Mrs Ardern said that her office was among more than 30 lawmakers and news organizations who received a manifesto allegedly from the gunman. In accordance with the protocol, her office sent it for parliamentary security within two minutes of receiving it, she said.
If the manifesto has given details that could have been immediately reacted, Mrs. Ardern said her office would have acted on them. She said she had read parts of the manifesto which she called "deeply disturbing."
Ms. Ardern said that the list of killed people was still provisional and that the victims' families would receive financial assistance. She said the families would receive victims who started Sunday evening with all bodies expected to be returned by Wednesday.
The Prime Minister also said that Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer of Facebook, had attended his condolence over the sliders, some of which were live streaming on the social media platform.
On Sunday, Facebook said it had removed 1.5 million videos of the attack that had been sent worldwide, including 1.2 million that were blocked by upload. The company said it also removed edited versions of the video that did not display graphic content.
Many victims need more operations, the hospital said
34 shots to victims in Christchurch Hospital, 12 of them in a critical condition, officials said Sunday.
A 4-year-old girl also remains in critical condition at a children's hospital in Auckland, where she was flown after the attack.
A spokesman for Christchurch Hospital, David Meates, said that on Saturday, the hospital treated nine new victims of the Friday attack. They came with carvings, embedded glass fragments and back, knee and foot injuries.
Herr. Meates said the hospital was running seven operational theaters on Sunday instead of the usual three.
"Many of these people need more surgery because of their complicated nature and their need to provide a series of shorter operations in one phase way, so patients have the best chance of recovery," he said.
Companies say employees were among those killed  Air New Zealand airline said one of its employees, Lilik Abdul Hamid, was death in the attack on Friday.
The company's CEO, Christopher Luxon, said in a statement that Mr Hamid had been an aircraft maintenance engineer with Air New Zealand for 16 years.
"He first learned the team even earlier when he worked with our aircraft engineers in a former role abroad," said Luxon. "The friendships he made at that time led him to apply for a role in Air New Zealand and make the transition to Christchurch."
Mr. Hamid is survived by his wife and two children, said Mr. Luxon.
Later Sunday, PricewaterhouseCoopers said one of its employees, Areeb Ahmed, had also been killed.
In a Facebook post, the company said it had learned about Mr. Ahmed's death from the Foreign Ministry of Pakistan.
"Areeb was a beloved and respected member of our PwC family who lived our values every day," it said. "His smile, warmth, commitment, respect and humor will be deeply missed."
Little information about other victims as death tolls rise
Police on Sunday said the death toll had risen to 50, when officials discovered another body on the mosque on Deans Avenue, where most of the victims had been killed. Another 50 people were injured.
"Last night, we could take all the victims from both of these scenes, and so we've placed another victim," said Mike Bush, New Zealand's police chief. 19659002] Mr. Bush said a list of victims' names has been drafted with the help of senior religious leaders and has been shared with family members. He said the list was an informal one and officials would not confirm the names publicly until the agencies had been formally identified.
The bodies have not yet been released to the victims' families, but Bush said he was aware that Muslim religious practices require quick burial.
"We are aware of the cultural and religious needs, so we make it as fast and sensitive as possible," he said.
Police Defend Their Response Time
Police officials say it took 36 minutes when they received the first call for a shooting in a mosque until the suspect was taken to jail.
"It's an incredibly fast response time," said John Price, district police commander. "You have a cell phone in a big city, and I am very pleased with our employee's response."
During a news meeting on Saturday, officials gave some timeline, but many details remained unclear. Officials said the gunman arrived at another mosque, where he continued his rampage, seven minutes after leaving the first one.
The suspect was later arrested in a car that had improvised explosive devices by two police officers. Mike Bush, New Zealand's police officer, said officers prevented further deaths.
"These two police officers acted with absolute courage," Bush said on Sunday. "I am so proud of what they have done. They have prevented further deaths and risked their lives doing so."
Attack could spur political battle over gun control
The shooting has the New Zealand choice for what could be a split political battle for gun control in the country, where an extraordinary number of people own weapons, with few restrictions. The authorities say the suspect in the attack used five weapons he had acquired legally, including two semi-automatic assaults.
Within a few hours of the Friday murder, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern promised changes to the New Zealand arms laws, and the aforementioned rules on semi-automatic weapons were "one of the problems." New Zealand's lawyer, David Parker, seemed to go beyond this statement in custody for the victims on Saturday, suggesting that semi-automatic weapons would be banned, but he was later withdrawn. Mr. Parker told Radio New Zealand, who had tried to reflect Mrs Ardern's comments, that "we should ban some semiautomatics, perhaps all of them."
"These decisions have not yet been taken, but the prime minister has signaled that we should look at that issue," said Mr. Park for the broadcast.
Licensed New Zealand gun owners pushed back. The Kiwi Gun Blog, an online gun rights publication, said that among the shooter's goals was "to cause the gun rights to responsible New Zealanders to be attacked." It said, "Our prime minister is now surrendered to him."
There is no doubt that acquiring a military-style semi-automatic weapon is relatively easy in New Zealand, where there are abundant guns. According to a weapons survey from 2017, there are more than 1.2 million firearms among the population of 4.6 million.
According to the New Zealand law, any 16 or older may apply for a firearm license and any 18 or older who has applied for a firearm license may seek permission to possess a military-style semiautomatic weapon.
In the United States, the National Rifle Association, a leading gun owner's lawyer, issued its first assault assault and condemned the killer while he said nothing about the weapons used.
"It does not matter whether these senseless tragedies occur in the United States or abroad, our deepest sympathy is with the victims and their families," says Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the group. "This was a monster's act. To the extent that the NRA is ridiculed to extend our deepest sympathy to those affected by this terrible event, we make no excuses for our thoughts, words or prayers."
Heart stories appear: "I was willing to give my life"
Abdul Aziz, 48, was in the Linwood Mosque asking his four sons when he heard shots. He immediately knew that something was wrong.
Instead of running out of sound, he ran towards it and grabbed the first thing he could find – a credit card machine – and threw it at the attacker. He tried to distract the attacker in a move that many other worshipers have described as heroic, weaving through cars in the parking lot, trying to pull the shooter's attention away from the mosque.
Latef Alabi, the acting imam of Linwood, told The Associated Press that he believed the death toll would have been much higher in the mosque without Mr Aziz's actions.
Herr. Aziz said he saw that the attacker dropped one of his weapons and managed to grab it, but when he pulled the trigger, the gun was empty. When the guard went to his car, presumably to grab more ammunition, Mr Aziz said he threw the gun on the attacker's windshield and broke the glass. The assailant ran away.
Mr. Aziz remained humble and said in an interview with The New York Times that anyone in his position would have done the same. "I was willing to give my life to save another life," he said.
Originally from Kabul, Afghanistan, Mr Aziz lived in Australia for 27 years after fleeing home country violence. He moved to New Zealand a few years ago and described it as a beautiful country.