قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Mozambique: Cyclone Kenneth winds southeast Africa, kills 38, authorities say

Mozambique: Cyclone Kenneth winds southeast Africa, kills 38, authorities say



Four people have also died in the island of Comoros, according to the UN Humanitarian Affairs Office.

The cyclone, the strongest storm that hit the region since records began, landed in Mozambique on Thursday.

Kenneth is the second powerful tropical storm that hits South Africa for five weeks. In spite of its power, Cyclone Kenneth is slowly, leading experts fearing that it may continue to dump heavy rain in an area still detaching from the destruction that Cyclone Idai has done.

This storm killed 750 people across South Africa, forced thousands into camps in March, and made an estimate of $ 1 billion. USD – about 10% of Mozambique's GDP.

In the commercial hub and provincial capital of Pemba Monday, they hoped the worst was over after a weekend of heavy rains and floods since cyclone kenneth made landing Thursday.

"The rain has stopped, at least for now. There is still water on the ground, but highways in the city are now acceptable," resident Innocent Mushunje said.

Kevin Record, a hotel owner on the hard-hit island of Ibo, said that the region was still without power and "waited for the cavalry to arrive."

Forecasters said northern Mozambique could see up to 500 millimeters of rain (approx. 20 inches) over the next five days, which could exacerbate the flood.

"The earth is full of rain and the rivers are already swollen, so the emergency is expected to get worse," said Michel Le Pechoux, UNICEF's deputy representative in Mozambique. "We do everything we can to keep teams and supplies on the ground to keep people safe."

Save the children in a separate statement that the storm "has caused widespread damage, ripping home apart and wiping out entire communities," and warns that current conditions have made it extremely difficult to provide assistance to those who have need.

"We have serious fears for the thousands of families currently taking shelter under their homes. They need food, water and shelter to survive in the days to come," said Nicholas Finney, Save the Child's Reporter in Mozambique.

  Residents are standing next to a road that is partially destroyed by floods following heavy downs in the Mozambican city of Pemba Sunday.

Finney said the NGO was trying to reach some of the hard hit areas on Sunday, but was forced to return "because rivers had blown up their banks and the roads were under water."

"Aircraft and helicopters have also been founded, which means that humanitarian access is almost impossible. We are desperately trying to look for ways to provide emergency supplies," Finney said.

The United Nations Disaster Preparedness pledged to release $ 13 million to pay for food, shelter, health, water and sanitation in both the Comoros and Mozambique.

"The funds will help reduce the suffering of the populations affected, including mitigating the impact on food security caused by the destruction and loss of agricultural land, livestock and fisheries, in addition to the damage and destruction of homes," said Mark Lowcock, UN Relief Coordinator.

Last week, Mozambique's natural disaster management said nearly 3,400 homes were destroyed and more than 18,000 were expelled by Kenneth.

Source link