Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ World https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Marcus Rashford shares ‘unacceptable’ food packages, prompting a British government investigation

Marcus Rashford shares ‘unacceptable’ food packages, prompting a British government investigation



A post from a Twitter user named Roadside Mum on Monday shared more than 27,000 times, detailing the items she was sent by Chartwells, one of the companies contracted with the UK government.

The road mother said the package contained ingredients to make two potato slices with beans and eight single-cheese sandwiches plus some snacks, pasta and a single tomato.

According to the record, the package was to last 10 days and was issued to her instead of £ 30 ($ 40) in coupons that families on the scheme had previously received.

“I could do more with £ 30 to be honest,” wrote Roadside Mum, who said she could have bought the same amount of food for £ 5.22 ($ 7.1

0) at a supermarket. “The private company that has the #FSM contract made a good profit here,” the post added.

Supplier Chartwells responded on Twitter, saying, “This does not reflect the specification of one of our inhibitors.” The company asked for further details so it could “investigate immediately.”

CNN has contacted Chartwells for further comments.

Sharing multiple photos of packed lunches sent to families, Rashford tweeted: “Kids deserve better than this.”
Children’s Minister Vicky Ford tweeted that she “will look into this immediately”, while the Department of Education (DfE) also said it “is investigating this.”

“We have clear guidelines and standards for food packages that we expect to be followed,” reads DfE’s tweet. “The packages must be nutritious and contain a varied selection of food.”

Marcus Rashford scores a hat trick on the pitch and gets the unrest of the British government out of it

Manchester United footballer Rashford last year fought for 1.3 million children to demand free school meal vouchers during England’s summer holidays and forced a turnaround from the British government. He was honored by Queen Elizabeth II in recognition of his campaign.

On Tuesday, Rashford posted a Twitter thread after a conversation with Chartwells that morning. He said there had been little communication with suppliers before the UK lockdown was announced by the government.

“Children should not be hungry on the grounds that we do not communicate or are transparent with plans,” Rashford said. “That’s unacceptable.”

British lawmaker Keir Starmer, leader of the opposition Labor Party, also waded in.

The UN report compares British welfare policies with Victorian workplaces
“The images displayed online of sadly inadequate free school meal packages are a disgrace,” Starmer tweeted Tuesday. “Where is the money going? This needs to be sorted right away so families don’t get hungry through the lockdown.”

In December, the humanitarian organization UNICEF announced that it would help feed people in parts of Britain for the first time in its 70-year history.

The United Nations (UN) agency said a “domestic emergency” meant vulnerable children and families needed help because of the Covid-19 crisis.

In May 2019, a UN report on poverty in the United Kingdom said the Conservative government remained in a “state of denial” about the 14 million people living on the breadline and continues its nearly decades-long austerity measures “despite the tragic social consequences. “

Britain is the world’s fifth largest economy, yet a fifth of the population lives in poverty, the report found, predicting that 40% of children would live in poverty for the next two and a half years.




Source link