The man who had allegedly fired the $ 7,800 bill for the failed hit on Red Sox slug David Ortiz is a doomed drug addict, according to local media reports.
Alberto Miguel Rodriguez Mota – who is still great – was named by prosecutors Monday as a money man behind the June 9 operation in the Dominican Republic, who left the retired Red Sox star fighting for hospital life.
According to Dominican newspapers Diario Libre and El Caribe, Rodriguez Mota was accused in 2011 of delivering drugs to smaller traders in the capital Santo Domingo.
Rodriguez Mota and an accomplice were both found in possession of a combined 500 grams of cocaine and marijuana and Rodriguez Mota was sentenced to five years in prison by the National Directorate of Drug Control.
It is unclear whether Mota, 36, ordered the slider or simply footed the bill, but legal documents obtained by The Boston Globe claim that he is the man behind the cash. The authorities have not revealed the alleged motive.
Advocate General Jean Alain Rodriguez said his office would release more information on the case on Wednesday. So far, they have arrested 1
Prosecutors claiming Mota has helped orchestrate the failed murder for hire operation with other suspects José Eduardo Ciprian Lebrón, who is already in prison serving an arbitration.
Ortiz, a 10-time All-Star and Three-Time World Series winner, is still resuming intensive care at a Boston hospital, and his wife Tiffany announced on Tuesday that doctors had upgraded their condition to " well."
"We are grateful to everyone who has helped David through this trial in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston," said Tiffany Ortiz in a statement that was released through the red Sox.
"David's journey to good health has been enhanced by the many expressions of love that have come to us from all over the world. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously in this challenging time."
Prosecutors have said that will reveal the "full story of how the case happened" Wednesday.