Chicago police said Tuesday that phone records submitted by "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett were "insufficient," failing to corroborate information he initially gave investigators after an alleged attack and possible hate crime.
Smollett, who is black and openly gay, customs policy while walking home to his apartment earlier this month, he was accosted by two but who hurled racial and homophobic slurs at him. He said the two men beat him and poured an "unknown chemical substance" on him.
According to a police report, respondents found the 36-year-old with a white rope hanging from his neck.
JUSSIE SMOLLETT INVESTIGATORS CONTAINING SOME INFORMATION UNTIL THEY HAVE 'ALL THEIR DUCKS IN A ROW' Smollett did not initially submit his phone records to investigators when asked
'EMPIRE' ACTOR JUSSIE SMOLLETT SPEAKS OUT AFTER ALLEGED ATTACK: 'I STILL BELIEVE JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED '
He later submitted the redacted phone records that detectives have judged to be "insufficient."
Smollett's crisis manager, Chris Bastardi, told Fox News: "Jussie is the victim here, which has been stated by the Superintendent of Police. Jussie has voluntarily provided his phone records from within an hour of the attack and given multiple statements to police. Chicago PD has repeatedly informed us that they find Jussie's account of what happened that night consistent and credible. Superintendent Johnson has been clear from Day 1
"We are still working closely with the Chicago PD and remain confident that they will find Jussie's attackers and bring them to justice."
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Of the edits to the phone records, he has this to say: "Any redacted information was intended to protect the privacy of personal contacts or high-profile individuals not relevant to the attack. ”
A neighbor claimed to have seen a“ redneck ”with a rope but Chicago police was unable to find video surveillance from the area to support this.
Fox News' Tyler McCarthy contributed to this report.