Home https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Entertainment https://server7.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smyrwpoii/p2/ Judge Kevin Spacey orders prosecutor to reveal his identity to continue the trial

Judge Kevin Spacey orders prosecutor to reveal his identity to continue the trial



A U.S. district judge in Manhattan has ruled that a man who accuses Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey of sexually abusing him when he was 14 cannot proceed with the case anonymously.

On Monday, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan refused to allow the man to continue as a “CD” in a lawsuit filed in September in New York State Court and later moved to federal court. The lawsuit alleges that the CD was abused by the actor when he was a minor in the 1980s.

The man had reportedly met Spacey in the actor’s suburban New York acting class before the alleged abuse, according to the lawsuit, seeking over $ 40 million in damages.

Kaplan said the CD’s interest in privacy does not outweigh the presumption of open trial and the damage that Spacey̵

7;s defense would suffer if he could continue anonymously. People with information that could support Spacey would also not know how to come forward, the judge added.

KEVIN SPACEY GRANTED TO MANUFACTURE ‘CARD HOUSE’ PRODUCTION ASSISTANT: REPORT

Kevin Spacey's prosecutor has been ordered to identify himself after previously hoping to remain anonymous throughout the trial.

Kevin Spacey’s prosecutor has been ordered to identify himself after previously hoping to remain anonymous throughout the trial.
(Daniel Zuchnik / WireImage)

CD since the 1990s had spoken to an unknown number of people about his claim against Spacey and had apparently collaborated on an article in the magazine in New York that was shown on Grib in November 2017, Kaplan said.

He said “the evidence suggests that CD deliberately and repeatedly took the risk that any of these individuals would at some point reveal his true identity in a way that would bring that identity to broad public attention.”

Kaplan noted that CD also recruited for the trial, his co-defendant, Anthony Rapp, who has appeared in “Rent” on Broadway and in “Star Trek: Discovery” on television. The lawsuit said the older actor made sexual advances to a teen rapper at a party in the 1980s, accusations that he himself detailed in 2017 that started public scrutiny of Spacey’s past.

When Rapp first spoke publicly about his claim, others also became public, and Spacey’s then-famous career abruptly stopped. At the time, Spacey issued a statement saying he could not remember the meeting, but apologized.

KEVIN SPACEY CASE BY ANTHONY RAPP, ANOTHER COMPLAINANT FOR ALLEGED SEXUAL ASSESSMENT IN THE 1980s: DOCS

The judge said that claims by CD’s lawyers that using their client’s name would trigger post-traumatic stress disorder, and the anxiety, nightmares and depression that come with it, are a consequence that is unlikely to be prevented as the case continues, and CD is ultimately forced to testify in public. .

He gave lawyers 10 days to disclose the name of the CD if he continued to make the claims.

In an early March letter to the judge, lawyer Peter Saghir said CD felt “extreme anxiety and mental distress at even the thought of being demanded in public” and had reluctantly decided to drop his claims if Kaplan ordered him to continue in public.

Click here to sign up for our entertainment newsletter

Kevin Spacey was sued by 'Star Trek: Discovery' actor Anthony Rapp.

Kevin Spacey was sued by ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ actor Anthony Rapp.
(Getty Images)

If CD drops his claims, he would not be the first to do so. Two years ago, a man who said Spacey groped him in a Nantucket bar in 2016 dropped his lawsuit.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Meanwhile, investigators in England have not yet said whether they will charge criminal charges against Spacey in connection with accusations against him there for events alleged to have taken place from 1996 to 2013.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Source link