In an interview with a local radio station, a woman who identified herself as Mr. Uribe’s wife said the two had been married for 18 years and had three children, and that he had left home one day after telling her he had “a very good job opportunity.”
She said her husband had been investigated in false positive cases but had been acquitted.
Colombian officials said some of the accused individuals left Bogotá as early as May and flew to Panama before traveling to the Dominican Republic and then to Haiti. Others arrived in the Dominican Republic in early June and then traveled to Haiti.
This has made them attractive to people looking for rented weapons. In 2015, for example, the United Arab Emirates had secretly sent hundreds of Colombians to Yemen to fight in the country’s violent civil conflict. Many stayed because of the high wages, according to previous reports from the New York Times, where Colombians received wages of up to $ 3,000 a month compared to about $ 400 a month they would earn at home.
“When one teaches an economic underclass how to fight and how to carry out military operations and much more, these skills are not easily transferred to the civilian sector except in private security,” said Paul Angelo, a fellow in the Foreign Ministry Council. Conditions that study safety issues.
On Friday, General Luis Fernando Navarro, the head of Colombia’s army, said the accused individuals had left the military between 2002 and 2018. He said the men were involved in “mercenary activities” and that their motives were “purely economic.”
Natalie Kitroeff and Anatoly Kurmanaev reported from Mexico City, Catherine Porter from Toronto and Julie Turkewitz from Bogotá, Colombia. Reporting was contributed by Julian Barnes, Eric Schmitt and Adam Goldman of Washington; Sofía Villamil from Cartagena, Colombia; Edinson Bolaños of Bogotá, Colombia; Simon Romero of Albuquerque, NM; Andre Paulte and Milo Milfort and Harold Isaac of Port-au-Prince.