Epic has rolled out another update for Fortnite. Patch 9.21 is now live on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch, and mobile devices, and it introduces another new weapon to the popular battle royal game, as well as a new pair or limited-time modes. Here is what the new weapon does with the full patch notes.
This week's addition to the arsenal is the Proximity Grenade Launcher, which fires in "arcing, bouncing, explosive projectile" that will detonate when near another player. The gun comes in epic and legendary varieties and can be found in chests, supply drops, vending machines, or from loot carriers. It also uses rocket ammo and can hold two rounds.
In addition to the Proximity Grenade Launcher, Epic has made some balance tweaks to an assortment of existing weapons and items in the game. The Storm Flip, which was added as part of last week's update, now deals with damage to the current storm phase, Epic has reduced the availability of the Mounted Turret and common variants of the Heavy Assault Rifle.
Beyond that, the developer is adding two new limited-time modes to the rotation this week. The first is the low gravity One Shot Duos fashion. Here, all players have only 50 health, the only weapons that will be snipers, and the only available healing items are bandages. The second mode, Horde Rush, drops four-player squads on the island and has them in areas with waves of Fortnite Fiends.
Like other special LTMs, Horde Rush comes with its own assortment of challenges to complete. These will be available for the duration of the event and will reward you with XP when completed. If you manage to finish all the tasks before the fashion leaves the rotation, you will also earn a special wrap for your troubles. You can see the full list of Horde Rush challenges in the screenshot above.
This week's update has also added some new items to Fortnite Creative and Save the World. You can see all of the changes for Fortnite: Battle Royale below, while the full patch notes can be found on Epic's website
Fortnite: Battle Royale Update 9.21 Patch Notes
Limited-Time Mode Rotation
One Shot Duos
Low Gravity. Every player has 50 health. Sniper weapons are the only weapon, Bandages are the only healing item.
Fortnite is back on the island and angrier than ever! Find out about your teammates to get your score by finding hidden score multipliers, opening special loot chests, and eliminating as many monsters as you can. Traverse across the map, survive all of the Defend locations and take down the Final Boss to win!
- Mode Details
- Four player Squad mode divided into multiple stages.
- Prepare to defend an area by searching for weapons & items, scavenging materials, and building defenses
- Racking points by fighting fiends, collecting score multipliers, and destroying Fiend Spawners
- Recover from the battle and search for more equipment.
- Travel across the map to the next defense point
- Respawning is enabled until the last stage when players have to destroy a Boss Fiend and his horde of minions
- Keep an eye out for special loot chests, which contain powerful weapons and provide a scoring bonus
Weapons & Items
- Proximity Grenade Launcher
- Fires an arcing, bouncing, explosive projectile that explodes when in proximity of an opponent.
- Available in Epic and Legendary Rarities.
- Holds 2 Explosive Rounds
- Rate of Fire: 0.65 shots per second.
- Rate of Fire: 0.65 shots per second. Player Proximity Radius: 250 units (about half the width of a tile)
- Explosion Radius: 300 units (about 60% of the width of a tile).
- Explosion damage:
- Player: 67/70
- Environmental: 131/138
- Reload Speed: 2.8s / 3s
- Projectiles explode automatically after 10s or if it has almost come to a stop.
- ] Shield Potion
- Increased the availability from Chest loot from 11.3% to 12.09%
- Small Shield Potion
- Increased the availability from Chest loot from 16.95% to 18.13%
- ] With items being added and removed, we've noticed that Shield Potions and Small Shields have been less available in Chests. So we've increased the chance to find Shields from Chests to compensate for that.
- Increased the overall chance to find from Floor loot from 8.50% to 9.77% [19659016
- Increased the availability from .067% to .105%
- Increased the availability from Chest loot from .414% to .645%
- Decreased the availability from Floor loot from 2.04% to 1.715%
- Decreased the availability from Chest loot from 12.47% to 10.46%
- Decreased the availability from floor loot from .59% to .46%
 Storm Flip
- Adjusted Storm Flip to cause flat damage instead of being based on which Storm Phase is currently active.
- Causes 5 damage every second
- We noticed with scaling damage that players hit onto their Storm Flip later into matches, creating undesirable effects.
- Reduced the availability from Chests from 3.39% to 1.69%
- Reduced the availability from Floor loot from 3.32% to 1.66 %
- Added back to the Arena and Tournament playlists.