Electronic Arts, the maker of popular video games, including the FIFA, Madden, Sims and Medal of Honor series, said on Thursday that they were investigating an intrusion into its network that resulted in game source code and tools being stolen.
“We have already made security improvements and do not expect an impact on our games or our business,” said an EA spokeswoman, adding that the company was working with law enforcement officials to investigate. The company said no player data was affected.
The posts were reviewed by Intel 471, a cybercrime intelligence firm that said the hackers advertised with data at about 800 gigabytes. The incident was first reported Thursday by Vice News.
Michael DeBolt, Intel 471’s senior vice president of intelligence, said a hacker advertised stolen EA data on a Russian-language forum as long ago as early May. The hacker offered the stolen information for a starting bid of $ 500,000, Mr DeBolt said, but it was unclear whether a sale had been made or whether there was a link between the various people advertising the data.
Now, he said, a quarrel has broken out on the online forums over which the thief can claim the crime and deserves to make money on the stolen material. “All other offers are scam or fake,” one user wrote according to a screenshot.
“Surprisingly, cybercriminals can’t work nicely together and say nice things about each other,” Mr DeBolt said.
He said at least one of the population had offered some evidence through screenshots of access to stolen EA files. “It gives the assessment that this claim can be credible and it needs to be fully investigated,” he said.
EA is the latest in a series of companies hit by cyber attacks in recent months, including the world’s largest meat processor, JBS, and Colonial Pipeline, which supplies fuel along the east coast. These hacks were ransomware attacks in which hackers tried to shut down systems until a ransom was paid, but EA said they had not received any ransom requests.