CLOSE

Surveillance video seems to show someone shooting at the back of the former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz at a bar in the Dominican Republic. An earlier version of this video misidentified Ortiz.
USA TODAY

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) – Dominican authorities on Monday identified the man they believed paid hit men to try to kill David Ortiz and added that they were closing in on masterminds and motives behind the shooting of the famous slugger who regains at a Boston hospital.

The man was identified as Alberto Miguel Rodríguez Mota, whom the authorities say is a refugee. The announcement was made as a judge held a hearing closed to the public for another suspect named "Bone." Officials did not release details, but according to legal documents obtained by The Associated Press, the man whose real name is Gabriel Alexei Pérez Vizcaíno, is accused of being the link between the allegedly hit men and the person who paid them.

David Ortiz stays in hospital for the next few days. (Photo: Bob DeChiara, USA TODAY Sports)

The documents state that a man in prison for an independent case traveled to Pérez for the alleged job one week before June 9 in a bar in Santo Domingo and sent him a picture of the target so that he could share it with the affected men.

Pérez allegedly shared the picture with the other suspects as they gathered at a nearby petrol station just minutes before the shooting. Officials have not said if the picture was of Ortiz.

The documents also state that Pérez sold a gold-colored iPhone 6 that was used to plan the attack on a woman for $ 180 so he could get rid of the evidence one day after the shooting. The authorities argued that the phone was giving him problems, and so he sold it.

"He did this by finding out that the police were looking for him," the document says.

A lawyer for Pérez commented not to leave the courtroom after hearing as police whisked away suspects who had a red T-shirt, a flak jacket and a helmet. He did not speak to journalists.

DAVID ORTIZ: From Big Papi to & # 39; big brother & # 39;

DOMIINCAN: Ortiz's special relationship with homeland

24-year-old suspect is one of 10 detained by the authorities and they are seeking at least two others mentioned in the legal documents, including the man who is accused of paying the alleged affected men.

Ortiz lawyer José Martínez Hoepelman said he was satisfied with how the investigation went.

"Trust the authorities," he said. "They have worked tirelessly to achieve the results we have so far. We all want more information, but we have to wait."

Police have said that the coordinator of the attack was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about 7,800 , to orchestrate the shooting of Ortiz, known as Big Papi.

He led the Red Sox to three World Series championships, was a 10-time All-Star and hit 541 home runs.

Ortiz lives in Boston but visits the Dominican Republic several times a year.

Doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestines before being flown to Boston, where he remains in intensive care at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Autoplay

Show thumbnails

Show captions

Last SlideNext Slide