TSAGAANNUUR, Mongolia ̵
A quarantine was declared in the small town of Tsagaannuur, Mongolia, after a couple reportedly died of the septicemic plague after eating raw marmot meat
The Washington Post reported that, according to Ariuntuya Ochirpurev with the World Health Organization in Ulaanbaatar, the husband and wife ate the kidney, gall leaves and stomach of the rodent. The large squirrel found in the region was infected, causing them to contract the plague.
>> Read more trending news
Ochirpurev customs The Post it is believed by some Mongolians that eating the raw organs of the marmot is "very good for health." carrier of the plague bacteria and is typically associated with cases of the plague in Mongolia. It 's illegal to hunt the rodent
The 38 – year – old border agent and his 37 – year – old wife died of multiple body failure because of the plague, Ochirpurev said. The man came down with a fever late last month and was dead within a week. His wife was hospitalized when she had severe headaches and was bleeding blood. He died May 1, Ochirpurev said.
More than 100 people came in contact with the couple, Ochirpurev told BBC News, including tourists from Sweden, South Korea, Kazakhstan and Switzerland. They were isolated and treated with antibiotics.
BBC News reported that a six-day quarantine was declared in the Bayan Olgii province of the country, where the town the couple lived in is located.
According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, the disease is affecting humans and other mammals. Humans typically get infected when they are bitten by rodent fleas carrying the bacterium or by action an infected animal.
The plague still occurs in the western U.S., but cases appear more often in parts of Asia and Africa. Symptoms depend on how the patient was exposed to the plague bacteria, but according to the CDC, the septicemic plague may appear in the form of chills, fever, extreme weakness, abdominal pain, shock and bleeding into organs
It's recommend to thoroughly cook any wild rodent before eating it. In the US, the CDC recommends applying flea treatments to dogs, reducing rodent habitat around your home and wearing gloves when handling animals that may be infected.
© 2019 Cox Media Group