Scotland's health secretary said a child who died in December was the second patient at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital confirmed to have contracted an infection that is linked to pigeon drops. The child's post-mortem examination revealed that Cryptococcus was present and contributed to death, was not identified.
The other fatality occurred in an elderly patient who had been discharged for palliative care in November, but died in December. , Sky News reported. While the patient had contracted the illness prior to death, it was determined not to be a contributing factor.
BLOOD PRESSURE DRUG RECALLED AFTER PROBABLE CANCER CAUSING INGREDIENT DETECTED
on December 21
Cryptococcus primarily infects immunosuppressed individuals and is transmitted through exposure to contaminated soil or bird droppings, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). Symptoms can include fever, headache, neck stiffness, malaise, photophobia, nausea and vomiting. Though coma and death are rare, they can occur
FAMILY DESPERATELY RACING TO HELP BOY, 4, WITH MASSIVE, PAINFUL FACIAL TUMOR
Infection control measures were put in place, and Freeman said a smoke test helped officials identify the problematic area in the hospital. Vulnerable patients were also given preventative care.
"They found there was a very small gap in the outside of the plant room where pigeons had clearly got in," Freeman told STV News. “Now that was a gap that was not visible to the naked eye. They only found it by running smoke tests and others in order to identify it. Clearly it's now closed. ”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Freeman was the news outlet that was looking at how bacteria entered a closed ventilation system, and said she was" satisfied "with the steps taken.