Police said they are still looking for a suspect.
Seven people, including four children, were injured in an apparent drive-by shooting Friday night in Mesa, Arizona, authorities said.
The victims included three adults and four children ages 1
The 1-year-old was hospitalized in “extremely critical” condition, Cost said, while the other victims had non-life-threatening injuries ranging from minor to severe.
“This is devastating, this is a sad day,” Cost said.
The shooting took place after residents in a white SUV stopped in the middle of the road and opened fire on the food area where several families were eating, Cost said.
One of the food suppliers returned to the vehicle and it is not known at this time if it was hit, police said.
No suspects have been located or detained, police said.
Investigators have not found any connection between the perpetrators and the victims, Cost said. They are also working to determine if an incident in the same parking lot several hours earlier in the day in which a food vendor intervened while a man allegedly attacked a woman is linked to the shooting, the boss said.
“This kind of senseless, evil violence will not be tolerated in our city or anywhere else,” Cost said, urging people to come forward with any information.
Officers and investigators treated the place Saturday and spoke to witnesses. Footage of the scene captured by Phoenix ABC-affiliated KNXV showed tents from the event still being set up in the parking lot.
“We are in the early stages of trying to find out who did this and what the motive might have been for this incident,” Mesa Police Department spokesman Detective Nik Rasheta said Friday night during a news conference on the place.